Faculty Development Series
The following Faculty Development Series is being offered based on results of a recent faculty needs assessment conducted in the Spring of 2023. Additional opportunities will also be posted here as we continue to grow.
All sessions will be held on Thursdays, from 12:00 pm-1:15 pm. In-person participation is encouraged, but a Teams option will also be included. All sessions will be eligible for CME through the Office of Graduate Medical Education.
November 16, 2023
- When Learner’s Struggle, presented by Dr. Derek Holbrook
December 14, 2023
- Teaching with Cases, presented by Dr. Pamela Lucchesi and Dr. David Rice
December 19, 2023
- Formative Assessment in the Clinic, presented by Dr. Rebeca Racataian-Gavan and Dr. Karen Lewis
January 18, 2024
- Designing Electives for UTT SOM Phase 3, presented by Dr. Dan Griffin and Dr. Andrea Cooley
February 22, 2024
- Professional Identity formation and Career Advancement as an Educator, presented by Dr. Larrie Greenburg
March 21, 2024
- Evaluation of an Educational Program, presented by TBD
April 18, 2024
- From Performance to Practice: Adopting a Deliberately Developmental Mindset and Culture, presented by TBD
May 23, 2024
- Facilitating Self-Directed Learning – Workshop, Dr. Lucchesi and CBL Facilitators
June 20, 2024
- Learning and Memory: How to teach more effectively, presented by Dr. Lucchesi
Career Development Seminars
In support of faculty looking to advance their careers in academia, the Office of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development will be hosting seminars to address the needs of faculty in planning for future advancement and promotion. Contact [email protected] to express interest and RSVP for any of these sessions.
The following sessions are open to Assistant and Associate Professors with an existing academic role in the School of Medicine.
Building a Successful Academic Career
December 4, 2023
4:00 – 5:30 p.m.
In this session, participants will have an opportunity to discuss strategies for recognition and academic advancement, a review of promotion criteria and tips for academic success. The session is designed for early career faculty.
Building an Educator’s Portfolio
January 8, 2024
5:00 – 6:15 p.m.
Following an overview of promotion criteria in general, we will review the components of a sample teaching portfolio, learn ways to enhance a teaching portfolio, and develop tools for gathering information for promotion. The seminar is designed for late-stage junior faculty and early mid-career faculty who are interested in the promotional trajectory from the Assistant to Associate and to the Full Professor designation.
The following sessions are open to faculty members in the School of Medicine who are planning to go up for promotion in Spring 2024 (to be effective FY25).
Series: Promotion Through the Ranks
Build awareness of the academic requirements for promotion; enhance understanding through discussion about the process and expectations.
Promotion to Associate Professor
December 5, 2023
12:00 – 1:15 p.m.
In-Person (RSVP for Lunch)
January 9, 2024
4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
Promotion to Professor
January 3, 2024
5:00 – 6:15 p.m.
January 5, 2024
3:00 – 4:15 p.m.
How to Build an Attractive CV
January 10, 2024
12:00 – 1: 15 p.m.
Discuss guidelines to help faculty with CV creation. This seminar is especially helpful to those who plan to go up for promotion in the future.